Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Life Weld Done!


{Cyreks at work}



The following is a guest post from Tess Cyreks of Weld Done from the YRSBiz Blogging Circle . The York Region Small Business Club helps small businesses in York Region connect online and in York Region. Their goal is to provide free or low-cost opportunities for local businesses to connect and engage with each other and ultimately to help small businesses succeed. Visit YRSBiz at www.yrsbiz.ca.

--------------------------------------------------------------



As a teenager in High School, I took a few shop classes. I was interested in mechanics but the school I went to didn't have much of a variety of classes. It was mostly General Shop. You got mechanics, woodworking, metalworking and some time on the computer for drawings. It was good for me. It helped me learn a variety of different things in one class.



One day we started to learn to Stick Weld (aka Arc Welding or SMAW). I enjoyed it, and actually did the best weld in the class. Everyone was shocked. 

I was one of two females in the class.

(That’s right folks, I am a chick welder. Surprised?)

As the story goes on, I got good grades in my shop classes and I graduated high school not long after I birthed my twin girls. I eventually married their dad and we were together for about 8 years in total.

(Okay, so I’m a chick mom welder. Surprised yet?)

When my girls were about two and a half, I started looking for a part time job. To help with bills, and to break out of being a stay at home mom. I was not satisfied with not bringing in an income. I did not want to be completely dependent on my husband.

After entering the workforce part time in retail, and discussing career opportunities, I decided to go to college. After taking an introductory course in MIG Welding (aka GMAW) I was hooked. I decided to go for some Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) tickets.

(Alright, so I’m a ticketed chick mom welder. How about now?)

I started my business full time in August 2011 and I am still trying to make it work. I don’t have any tips for you today readers, but I hope that you enjoyed my story.

(Well, if a business woman mom welder trades-person didn’t get you. I don’t know what will!)

They call me Cyreks.

For more information you can contact Tess Cyreks
Email: Cyreks@weld-done.ca
Website: www.weld-done.ca